History of the Charlotte Hobbs Memorial Library
The Women’s Library Club of Lovell is organized by Mrs. Frank Swett and Miss Susan Walker to take advantage of the trunks of books sent from the Maine State Library as ‘traveling libraries.’
Women’s Library Club of Lovell officially incorporates.
Charlotte Hobbs graduates from Wellesley College and returns to Lovell.
Born in 1879 in Lovell, Charlotte Hobbs dedicated herself to the people of her village. After graduating from Wellesley College in 1902, she returned to Lovell to teach school, tutor students, and collect historical materials, all the while committed to creating a library for the town. She was the driving force behind the drama productions that raised money to construct our library building. For more than 50 years, Charlotte Hobbs served as our librarian. She was also the village historian and her papers are now in the Lovell Historical Society. After her death in 1969, the Women’s Library Club changed the library’s name to the Charlotte Hobbs Memorial Library as a lasting tribute to this remarkable woman.
First of many fundraising dramas put on at The American House, the main hotel in town and the center of 19th century Lovell social life.
Fire destroys The American House; Library Club buys lot for $450.
More dramas put on to raise money to construct our library building.
Lovell Public Library opens its doors.
Town of Lovell votes to raise $200 for library support for first time.
After Charlotte Hobbs’ death the Library Club changes the library’s name to The Charlotte Hobbs Memorial Library as a lasting tribute to this remarkable woman.
Renovation and Addition paid for by Charlotte Hobbs’s legacy.
First Arts & Artisan Fair, will become biggest annual fundraiser since the drama series.
All 250 local schoolchildren visit library once a week.
100th Anniversary of incorporation.
Writer Stephen King attracts many fans at reading. Proceeds become seed money for the Building Fund.
Official public launch of ‘Building for our Next Century’ Campaign
2010 After an eight year campaign the library opened the doors to its expanded and renovated building.